The Greenfield Cemetery is approximately 30 acres in size and was begun in 1868 when about 23 acres were purchased from John Anderson, Isaac Claypool and J. & R. Smith for $3,875. The cemetery was laid out in 1868 by Leopold Weltz, a landscape gardener and florist of Wilmington, Ohio. As it was then, it is still “a thing of beauty to behold”.
Mark Dwyer (Section 3B, Lot 181) was the first burial here. The remains of William Bell (1763-1801), a veteran of the American Revolution and the first recorded burial in Highland County, was disinterred from the Old Buring Ground (cemetery next to Travellers Rest) and re-buried here in the Bell family plot. Other families also moved burials so their families could be in one burial plot. The Wright family mausoleum, (1873), Memorial Chapel (1896), Soldiers’ Monument (1907) and the Greenfield Mausoleum (1917; removed 2013) were also added.
We list some information concerning people buried in the Greenfield cemetery. The list is incomplete and we cannot guarantee its accuracy. It was compiled by volunteers from information found on the internet and other sources. Hopefully it will be of help in locating someone buried in one of the Greenfield cemeteries. If we are advised of corrections from visitors or there are comments as to the content of these cemetery records, we will make that information available as a separate file of Cemetery Records Comments. Click below on the first letter of the Last Name of the person you are trying to locate to see a list of all those with Surnames beginning with that letter.
Under the "Cemetery" column are the following designations: Greenfield - Greenfield Cemetery on Washington Street; Wright M. - Wright Mausoleum within the Greenfield Cemetery; Old BG - the Old Burying Ground, next to Travellers Rest and McArthur Way; St. Joseph - St. Joseph's Cemetery.
In the "Section" column, M-nn indicates remains once in the Greenfield Mausoleum but relocated to Section nn, where nn is the number of the Section.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Special thanks to Gail Allen for providing us with pictures of each Section showing the lot numbers:
OLD BURYING GROUND
The Old Burying Ground is the cemetery adjacent to Travellers Rest.
The information shown in this document is information originally compiled in the Cemetery Inscriptions of Highland County, Ohio, by: David Newton McBride; Jane N. McBride, 1954. Weather had greatly affected the conditions of the monuments at the time this information was originally collected and now their condition is even worse. The information is believed to be as accurate as possible at the time, and it is the best we have available for general use.
Conventions used: b. = born, d. = died, a. yy-mm-dd = age in years-months-days, ss = same stone[ List of Burials in Old Burying Ground ]
Circa 1970, five McClain High School students (Fred Beatty, Jeff Fugate, Melvin Greene, Stuart Looney and Tricia Woods) surveyed the Old Burying Ground and submitted a report to their teacher (David King). It is presented here simply as additional information for those interested.[ Old Burying Ground School Project Report ]
The following link is to a "work in progress" file. It is an attempt to show all the burials in the Old Burying Ground (almost 900) with calculated dates to augment the dates found in other documentation. The file contains a link to a picture of the gravestone for about 70% of the burials. This is for reference only and will be modified periodically as we gather more information. We make no assertion as to the validity or completeness of the information, and simply offer it as a possible resource for your personal use.
The Master List contains a "Map #" column. We have begun mapping the cemetery and in doing so have assigned a Map # to each burial. The Map # is also a link to information about that particular burial on the BillionGraves.com web site. We only have a small portion of the gravesites mapped currently, but will continue with this effort as we have time.
You may also view an Aerial View of the cemetery.
Learn more about the OBG Preservation Project here.
We also have a Friends of OBG website used in our communications with volunteers and suporters.
ST. JOSEPH'S CEMETERY
St. Joseph's Cemetery is located at the corner of North Second and Spring Streets. It is owned and managed by St. Benignus Church.
The information shown in this document is information originally compiled in the Cemetery Inscriptions of Highland County, Ohio, by: David Newton McBride; Jane N. McBride, 1954. The information is believed to be as accurate as possible at the time, and it is the best we have available for general use.
Conventions used: b. = born, d. = died, a. yy-mm-dd = age in years-months-days, ss = same stone[ St. Joseph's Cemetery Burial List ] [Map of St. Joseph's Cemetery ]
BUCKSKIN TOWNSHIP CEMETERIES
Exploring Ohio's Almost Forgotten Gravesites