The Fire Truck 2008

The Society got an important gift on June 5, 2008. That was the day the Greenfield Fire Department gave the society an Ahrens-Fox fire truck on permanent loan.

The truck, a model VC patented in 1932, was purchased in 1939 and was built in Cincinnati. A plaque on the truck states that John T. Mains was mayor at the time and members of the council were J. Roy Duffield, Roy E. Starns, Roy Mossbarger, Harry L. Grice, Harold R. Stewart, and Ray W. Ashling The plaque also states that J. Dean Irwin was fire chief and the engineers were Thomas Redkey and Donald Hill.

The fire truck has seen much use in its time. It was part of many parades in Greenfield. It also spent several years in the Chillicothe Fire Museum, but the last few years in storage. When that storage space became unavailable, the fire department needed to find a new home for the truck. Fire Chief Greg Schottelkotte contacted Wendy and Harold who turned the project over to Ed King. He found space and made arrangements for the move. Our thanks go out to Bradley George and J. Martin Post for helping to retrieve the fire truck and to Zach Pryor who hauled the fire truck to its new home in the Grain & Hay Red Barn. It will be on display during special events.

Come visit the Old Fire Truck!

The Greenfield Historical Society
PO Box 266
Greenfield, Ohio 45123
(937)981-7890